Thursday 4 June 2009

Magazine Scans & Talk

I'm at home today, as I have sick leave from the doctors! I have a fever and cough that's now controlled by the meds so I have been quite "busy" at home, watching tv, laying in bed, sleeping and reading. Fortunately, over the weekend, I recently got some magazines from Kinokuniya, so I have new reading materials. 001copy L'officiel magazine comes with what Kinokuniya claims is a S$100plus sunscreen! So worth it! What? They are giving it away free with a S$5.90 magazine? I had to get it! Hahaha. I don't know this brand at all. I suppose Kinokuniya can't be lying. LOL. L'officiel isn't really very exciting in terms of content and layouts. Very typical "fashion magazine" like Vogue, with boring fashion spreads featuring moody photography and models, though it tries to give an up-market feel with many brand labels. 002copy An article in L'officiel magazine stated that chemical sunscreens might be a possible cause of skin cancers! According to the article, "Although sunscreen protects against sunburn, there is no proof they protect against carcinomas (malignant cancers)..." It is stated that "... various studies have linked sunscreen usage to high incidences of melanomas ... " Further, "... UV blockers [are] made of synthetic chemicals. They are designed to absorb large doses of UVA and UVB radiation, converting them into free radicals that pave the way for cancer to develop." OMG, this means we should hurry up and get physical sunscreens instead! I so prefer Japanese magazines! With detailed fashion and makeup tips geared towards the seasons' trends, and focussed on specific styles and age-groups. I like Sweet alot, even though it seems to be targetted for the younger person. I am a Loli at heart (though I've never gone into Cosplay) and I always try to find ways to incorporate sweet and pretty into my life. So, eg, I can take ideas from Sweet and adapt it for an older me. Do you know of any Sweet or Loli type of magazines for the older woman? :D 003copy And the freebie from More is so cute, and includes 2 pens! I love these quirky types of lettering. I was kinda thrilled to see that this print is actually part of the new Coach Poppy collection. I can't read Japanese, but is the Poppy range exclusive to Japan? I don't see them on the US website. Can someone CP me some Coach from Japan? LOL. *sigh* Maybe another trip to Japan is in store. *sigh* 001copy Coach is getting more and more quirky, I'd love to get some of their new bags for casual use, if only they didn't price themselves so "up-market". Eg. I really like their Bonnie bag but why is it so expensive? By the way I'm having a blog sale over at a new Sale Blog called Beautification Stuff, which I'll be adding lots of makeup and skincare to as I find more stuff I'm no longer using that could go to better homes. I'm also trying out putting up my scrapbooking stuff for sale, before putting it up on ebay. © Copyright. All rights reserved.

15 comments:

Saint said...

I also prefer Japanese fashion magazines. Sweet looks so nice, I've never picked one up however.

I asked my ex-bf (not ex at the time) to send me the Sweet October 08 issue with the Betsey Johnson makeup bag freebie, but he still hasn't sent it haha!

Shop N' Chomp said...

Great mag haul. Is that a mirror with Sweet?

I read that Coach Poppy is arriving in the U.S this summer.

FriendzCentury said...

I buy the More magazine too :)

Hope you get well soon sweetie!

NicRTV (陳亞任) said...

Japanese Mags are sooo generous.....

Mona said...

your scrap booking stuff is way cute!

you're right about coach! they're getting quirkier lately, i like!

eri said...

i love asian magazines so much! if only i could read them! hahahaha.

get well soon!

miRaCLe said...

wahhh!! betsey johnson mirror!! :D
is it from Sweet??
i need to go kinokuniya!! XD

Jamilla Camel said...

Hi Aichaku, I sure hope you get better soon! Your prize package was posted on June 2, so I hope that cheers you up!

I recommend VoCE magazine for older sweet looks...they are really good with sweet makeup looks, and they go step by step! I have the latest issue and I will have to post some shots!

Amanda K said...

Feel better.. I wish magazines here had GWP.

fuzkittie said...

The damn magazines make me wanna shop! :P

-Yu- said...

I looove japanese magazines! much better than the typical fashion mag too. Anna Tsuchiya on Sweet cover looks so gorgeous!
thank you for sharing the scans!

izumi said...

i really want to get more japanese magazines.. i wish they weren't so expensive. but i suppose it's very much worth it :)

birkinbagbeauty said...

I have been receiving my second japanese magazine now, and I understand why you prefer them over the Western ones...the makeup application details are so thorough and I adore the fashion spreads...
More's gwp is too cute...I think I want that magazine as well ;D

MiuMiu said...

i think coach is getting a lot nicer...but then istill wouldn't buy anything from them just cuz i know like half the asian population in toronto has coach! but i have to admit i bought the wristlet cuz i wanted something small to carry around instead of my big purses

Jamilla Camel said...

Miu Miu: Lol about the coach bags--that's why I avoid LV like the plague...I'd end up looking like an Asian tourist in London, lol!!