Wednesday 13 May 2009

Of A Small Cake, Nails and Whitening

This is a cake I ate on Mothers' Day for lunch. It's quite tasty but why do I get the feeling that it's something that I might be able to buy at the supermarket? 002copy I got a box of nail blingbling that was packed together with one of the makeup items (I forget which) that I bought from Matsumoto Kiyoshi. I used it together with an Etude House nail polish and nail sticker I bought in Seoul to create this look. One thing I'll never get used to is long nails though, so I'll have to be content with painted nails that are short. (Darned those 10 years of Christian school upbringing!) 003copy I think it's quite simple (and amateurish keke), but I actually had fun doing it! I used to think it's troublesome to add bling bling or even to paint my nails, but lately I've changed my mind. I'm fighting a losing battle with evening out my skin tone. My arms keep getting dark, when I go out into the sun, even if it's just a short walk to lunch or the bus-stop. I 've been using these sunscreen/sunblock and body whitening lotions, but I still can't get my arms as fair as my neck or my face. So weird. These are what I use for the body. 004copy So far, the best body whitening lotion is Fancl's. I bought Orbis' but haven't tried it yet. The other 2 lotions from Nivea and White Rose don't work. I don't see any whitening effects at all when I use them. I also suspect my sunscreens/sunblock don't work? Even if I slather them on before I go out, eg. before lunch, I still get dark arms ... :( I've been using the Biore on my arms because I'm now using the other sunscreen/sunblock from Fancl for the face. Edit: just after I read K's comment, I see this on my Google Reader. Good tips on sun-protection. K, you're right, I should be reapplying more often! Every 2-3 hours? Gosh! © Copyright. All rights reserved.

21 comments:

Laura L said...

oh, lovely cake... hehe!

Yumeko said...

i think its the plastic tray, thats why u feel the cake can be bought from the supermarket?

K said...

Do you reapply your sunscreen? I heard that it only lasts 2-3 hrs...

aichaku-愛着 said...

K, you're right! I should reapply more often. Yumeko, I think you're right too!! :D

Shop N' Chomp said...

I agree on the Nivea being a bust. Let us know how the Orbis pans out please. :)

-Yu- said...

cake looks yummy. but nowaday, lots of restaurants have pre-made/frozen cakes. Rarely homemade.

I am having a losing battle with my skin tone also. Recently i discover the lower half of my face is tanner/burning than upper. :( Nivea does nothing.

Minoueel said...

Every 2-3 hours?!! I thought I need to do that when I'm swimming or have contact with water. Gosh... every 2-3 hours...

fuzkittie said...

Mmm nice cake! I can relate, I try to wear long sleeves for work days, but I can imagine it being just way too hot for Singapore! Whenever I use whitening masks, after I take it off, I rub it all over my arms and legs, hahaha.

ⓚ☪ said...

hi first time commenting! the cake looks yummy. The sunscreen your using might not be working for two reasons.. you need to reapply since the SPF30 is good for around 30 minutes, and if its not sweat proof it will not last you all day. Another thing is in order to stay light (not get dark) you will have to apply sunscreen that also have PA. Like PA+++

izumi said...

ooo i wish they had cakes like that in american supermarkets! good luck with your battle to remain pale :)

♥sormui♥ said...

wuu! that cake looks sooo pretty!

sunny said...

the cake looks yummmy~~

it might be better to use a slightly higher SPF. UVA & UBA protection is very important so look for products that have a high PA coverage (PA++) because that will protect you from the visible effects from the sun.

acutelife said...

could it be that your skin tend to get pigmented quicker?because that's my skin type X( all of my siblings are as fair as bones,- only have to walk out in the sun for abt 10mins and my skin will be a shade darker already T.T no sunscreen can help me,they just repel the UV but I still get dark

pinky"the-middle-name-is-princess"beanie said...

Love that nail bling; can't keep long nails either - maybe it's a piano thing?

Have you tried using an umbrella? Preferably with UV coating ;)

Aud said...

I've darker skin tone on my neck area due to a bad sunburn a few years back so now I'm actively trying to whiten that area so that it's congruous with my face...

been using Nivea body cream on my legs and arms, I can see the whitening effects. But that's like after 1-2 years of religious application..

MiuMiu said...

nice..cake for lunch hehe.
i want to do my nails now, but they're so short! They never seem to grow more than like 3mm without breaking first haha.

miRaCLe said...

ahh!! is that a pie from Rive Gauche?? I had it at Tonkichi the other day~~ hehes :D
I love the crust~~ :))

Beautiful nails!! I love the color,the flower,the bling!! everything!! hehes :D

Let us know if the 're-applying' sunscreen work for your skin~~ ^^

Cacaopack said...

hi there,

may i share with you a little bit more on sunscreen? :) get one that is stable, meaning the protection is good for at least 8 hours thus no need to reapply.

recommended stable sunscreen in this aspect is Avene Very High Protection series, they have 3 version cater to different skin type: cream , emulsion and lotion spray. another good ones are Heliocare Gel and Fancl Sunguard.

many sunscreen brands out there are not stable, meaning the ingredients do not interact well with each other thus causing unstability and protection loses its effect in 3 hours or so. this is usually why some people find themselves getting darker and having spots although they do slather sunscreen. and yes for unstable sunscreen you would need to reapply every 3-4 hours to prevent it produce free radical which is even more harmful to skin.

so to save the hassle, just grab a stable sunscreen :) Check the ingredients stated, AVOID avobenzone also known as butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane, at all costs.

Minimum SPF 30
PA+++, for Japanese/Korean formulation.
PPD15 and above, for European formulation.
Broad Spectrum Protection, the wording printed on the bottle/tube.
Hypo-Allergenique – Non Comedogene, the wording printed on the bottle/tube.

*pai-say* for the long post, just wanna share with what i learnt, if only i know earlier, i have the brown spots... :(

oh ya, for swimming is definitely another story, confirm need to reapply, frequency depends on the sunscreen used whether is water-resistent or water-proof.

cheers.

Jamilla Camel said...

I love the cake and the nails, and I bathe my face and body parts in SPF85 every two hours when I'm in Oman.

Jamilla Camel said...

I love the cake and the nails, and I bathe my face and body parts in SPF85 every two hours when I'm in Oman.

prettybeautiful said...

love the nail art!! so cuteee!