Wednesday 15 April 2009

And Here We Officially Bring the Aunty Saga To A Close!

I just came back from a session with a personal shopper at CK Tang. She's a fashionable lady who works with CK Tang and the service is free for shoppers. I complained to her that I was called "aunty" and told her I need some help. So she helped me pick out some clothes and gave me tips. She said I need to wear lighter colours because I'm fair and have brownish hair and eyes. She also said I also need to wear heels (OUCH! T_T I don't like this tip ... ) and put on more makeup (oh dear, am I really wearing it so light?) Anyway I bought some new clothes in lighter shades. Turns out pastel pink is really a nice shade on me! I was always told pink is too Ah-Lian (kind of like our local version of country bumpkin/red-neck but not quite so comparable) and too aunty for me. Gawsh. Who knew. The main thing is that I came away from is this: As a professional shopper, she chose clothes for me (my body shape) that I would have chosen for myself. The cut and shape of dresses, and tops and the designs, they are all similar! The difference is that she gave me some lighter shades to try. So this brings me to the end of this tiring un-auntifying exercise. Your comments have given me much food for thought and I really appreciate all the tips. I'm taking them with me everytime I look at something and thinking it through before buying. This experience with the personal shopper also gave me confidence that I am doing something right. Jamilla said to go for high-end tai-tai look, I think that's where I'd like to be heading ... LOL. There's only so much jeans and tees that the middle-age spread can take. It also brings to mind something my boss said (she's a super domineering highly smart double Masters from some high-falutin' British universities btw). My boss told me, "Sometimes, people mistake an 'expensive' look for something only an older person can afford, hence they say it's 'aunty'." Ok, I'm not rich but I'm going to have to take this attitude and carry it to the very end. I really can't expect everyone to understand the choices I make but I should make sure I'm comfortable and happy with my choices. Take that, you aunty-callers! We shall return to regular programming with immediate effect. ^__^ WOOT! PS: I'm sure there are still some quite aunty things about me, it's just that I'm learning to accept my choices and ... learn learn learn ... improve as I go along. :D Hopefully one day, I'm just me, with my own style and I accept myself for who I am without fear of criticism and judgement. ^___^!!! © Copyright. All rights reserved.

14 comments:

Jamilla Camel said...

Ok, so let's see some new bags and shoes from some Italian designers!

And no, you don't have to wear really high heels...as long as it's a classy Tai Tai look!!

That means handbags, too...and a watch!

Enjoy!

aichaku-愛着 said...

yes mdm! :D i will be using my money wisely on what you suggest. i actually have some tai-tai watches, shoes and bags but feel abit apologetic to wear them to work .. :p

XXX said...

pastel pink looks feminine!! oh yes lighter shade makes one look younger too!


i dont agree expensive look = aunty or vice versa! it all depends how u match it...

aichaku-愛着 said...

xxx, i really appreciate your very useful tips! i am opening my eyes to more tops like the type you describe. :D

Yumeko said...

i am still going to find out when i see u heeheeee

i bet i am more aunty than u!

Rae said...

Hee hee.. I'm excited about your new look....


Silent reader ;-)
Rae

fuzkittie said...

LOL aunty-callers! xD Your un-auntifying adventure was so much fun for me too! Haha.. I would love to be a personal shopper, but who the heck would hire me?! xP

Tai tai is good to go for! I think that will be my long term goal.. .hahahahaah!

K said...

hahahaha, I would love to see how un-aunty you have become... a before and after, perhaps!

dodo said...

I never heard friends around me having any personal shoppers, it's interesting to know they don't just exist in celebrities world.. haha, i can't wait to see how she dresses you up!

Anonymous said...

hey, I think for a dainty look, you can get shoes with small heels. They may be high or low heel, but just make sure they are not thick. Instantly makes one looks very tai tai or xiao jie!

miRaCLe said...

woaahh!
what an interesting experience! ^^ i never know there's personal shopper in CK Tangs! :D
show off your new stuffs to us! a new life Aichaku!! hehes.♥ gogogo!!♥

^^♥

Unknown said...

Hi!
Just some advice for the higher heel shoes..
You can wear heels with a small platform on the bottom that will make heeled shoes more comfortable! Also try wedge style shoes (either close toe or open toe) because they are extremely comfortable heels. You don't have to wear pointy stilettos~ :)
Glad to hear your "aunty" situation has been resolved~

izumi said...

yay, pastels! i'm glad your situation has been resolved :) this personal shopper person sounds amazing!

MiuMiu said...

high heels? i think you should be happy that you can wear them..my feet bones are so wide that i can only take heels for 10 minutes before the sides of my foot turns red.
i think the main thing you should remember is, don't try too hard and don't be afraid to experiment. everyone goes through stages where they seem too frumpy/unfashionable. believe me, i've been through that enough times haha.
pink sounds nice, i had a major pink phase a few years ago hahaha..but now it's gone down to the makeup version.

ok i feel like i'm everywhere with this planning...but i think i'm gonna settle for meeting at myeong dong at 1130 on saturday the 25th. but i don't know which restaurant. i know there is a famous korean dumpling restarant in myeong dong..actually about 3 of the same ones there. i've never been so maybe we could hit that up!
i'm gonna repost it again later this weekend haha... sorry i'm very indecisive and i talk too much sometimes hahaha..i hope you don't mind!! XDXDXD i'm so excited!!!!
my email is yipmillie@hotmail.com
=)